Thursday, June 23, 2011

POETRY: Lachrymatory by Jason E. Hodges


 
The glass Lachrymatory hung just above the breast of a newly widowed wife

Filled with crystal like teardrops from her bloodshot eyes

Tears from weeping over the loss of her husband

Tears from the war taking his life

The small glass vile soaked with sadness

One agonizing drop at a time

Sealed with a cork from her shaking weak fingers

The widow leans in for one last goodbye

Sliding the Lachrymatory into his hands she says in a slight whisper

These tears are from my sadness and grief

Take them with you my love

Hold them and know I’m never out of your reach

For today, I’m not only burying my husband I’m burying my heart

It’s now trapped in this small bottle that has captured my pain

Submerged in my teardrops of sorrow

For crying is all I have left

I can’t eat, I can’t sleep, and days blend together

Darkness is over me now

My love, why were you taken from me

Why, Why, she screamed to the heavens

Then slowly looked down to the nightmare she was living

Whispering again through her black veil of mourning, she said

So as they lower you into the ground hold on to my Lachrymatory

Each tear will comfort you on your long wayward journey

My love, my husband, I’ll see you again

No comments: