Pages

Michelle Rowen Interview  

Posted by Scott Wilson


Hi Michelle, thank you for taking the time to have a chat to us here at Midnight Echo. I love the title of your latest novel, “Lady & The Vamp”, how did you come up with it?

Michelle: Thank you! Some of my books have started out with one title and I’ve had to change it on the back end, but Lady & the Vamp never had another title. It came about when I was watching Lady and the Tramp and I just had an a-ha moment. I checked if anyone else had used the title and was surprised that I was the first to think of it!

Scott: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer and what inspired you to start writing?

Michelle: I’ve wanted to be a writer ever since I was a kid, maybe 12 years old or so. I was inspired to start writing when I became frustrated with the way some of the movies and books I devoured ended. I was at the whim of the creator. I realized that if I wrote my own stories they would always end the way I want them to.

Scott: Did you begin writing short stories, and if so, what was the first story you had published and where, or did you get straight into novels?

Michelle: I dabbled in a lot of writing in the beginning, but it was always novels that held the greatest interest for me. The stories I wanted to tell could rarely be contained at shorter lengths. The first story published for me was Bitten & Smitten, which was a full-length paranormal romance novel.

Scott: I really like the Shadowlands realm you have created as a dimension between humans and the Underworld. How did you come up with this idea?

Michelle: In the books, a teenager finds out her father is a demon, and the king of the Shadowlands. When I came up with the idea originally, I wasn’t going to pull any punches. I was going to make him the head honcho of everything -- the king of Hell itself. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this might not be accepted by readers as I wanted it to be. I wanted him to be an estranged father, who’d been thought ill for leaving his unborn child alone for so many years, but not actually a bad guy when all is said and done. But he was still a demon, no getting around that, which brought up the question about whether or not he was evil. So I created the Shadowlands, which is a buffer zone -- essentially a barren wasteland containing a castle and not much more -- between the human world and the Hell worlds, and it acts as protection for our world so we’re none the wiser about the danger lurking very close by.

Scott: You have written a Young Adult series, Demon Princess, and the adult Immortality Bites series, do you have a preference for which market you write for and how different is the process writing for these two markets?

Michelle: I love both the YA and the paranormal romance genre. I really couldn’t pick just one -- I love writing both. My first love when it came to reading fiction, however, was YA. I don’t honestly approach the writing any differently between the two -- the only difference really is the age of the protagonist and the themes on which I’m focusing.

Scott: Do you have a favourite character you have created and why?

Michelle: My favourite character of all that I’ve created is probably Sarah Dearly, the vampire heroine of my Immortality Bites books (except for Lady & the Vamp, which features Quinn and Janie). She was featured in my first published book, Bitten & Smitten. Most characters aren’t quite as “alive” as Sarah is in my head. Sarah tends to be very opinionated, even eight years after I first created her. She can be quite a handful! For example, I had in mind a different Mr. Right for her, but she chose the other guy in her love triangle, and I’m glad she did. Immortality Bites is a five book series because of that decision! She knows what she wants and she isn’t afraid of going after it. It’s definitely an admirable quality -- even in a fictional character!

Scott: What is a typical day of writing for you? Do you have a goal for achieving a certain amount of words or hours per day?

Michelle: When I’m working on a first draft I try to do at least 10 pages a day, but I’m gentle with myself unless I’m on a very tight deadline. Sometimes the muse can be cranky if pushed too hard. I’m at the computer more hours a day than I’d care to admit, though. I don’t tend to start any serious writing until noon, but my writing day can and often does go well into the night if the words aren’t flowing easily.
Scott: What are you reading at the moment and who are your 5 favourite authors?
Michelle: At the moment I’m reading Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning and Sins of the Soul by Eve Silver -- both fantastic books. My five favourite authors currently (in no particular order) are Suzanne Collins, Neil Gaiman, Laurell K. Hamilton, Stephenie Meyer, and Stephen King.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 2:25 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment